Skip to main content

Apps For The Successful Student

I can only guess when I first started out school how many hours I spent trying to figure out how to study effectively, and if I would have known some of the tips I know today I could have saved and enjoyed so much more extra time. Technology has completely intertwined with the modern student on how we learn such as taking notes, studying for a test, and even due dates. Hitting the books has  always been my number one struggle when it comes to revision throughout my time in college and even high school. There would be times that I would kick myself for not starting earlier on upcoming projects and making flashcards for exams. I always would ask friends what they would use to help them in preparing for classes and they would always have great suggestions for phone apps. Every app is really trial and error and if you feel comfortable using them consistently. I have complied some apps I really found useful and in hopes you check them out!
Iphone 4s by Matthew Pearce, Creative Commons 2.0
  • Quizlet -  This app has helped me with late night cram sessions (I do not recommend cramming)  and helped me keep up with study guides that professors have provided with information that needs to be learned quickly. Quizlet is basically and online flashcard maker that is kept in a digital format. Once finished with making the flashcards they also have tools that will help you study accordingly to the exam date. For example if you have an exam in two weeks Quizlet will set up a daily schedule to study so many flashcards a day and will build off on them until you are well prepared for the upcoming exam. Also, Quizlet allows you to share flashcards with other Quizlet members. This app works on mobile and desktop so basically it's to whichever is to your liking! 
  • Voice Recorder - I cant stress enough how many times I would go to lecture and even when I was being very adequate with note taking there was always something important that I would miss. Voice recording allowed me to go back and listen to the lesson in order to be able to tighten up my notes. Nothing helped me more than recording live class lectures. Most cellphones all have a voice recorder or voice memo feature built within the system so no unnecessary spending is needed. Also, if you are going to use a voice recorder it is very important to ask the professor ahead of time if you can record his classes. By asking the professor beforehand, it allows them to give the understanding that if he or she does not want their lectures to be recorded due to using their own material you will respect their choice. 
  • Chegg - Ive defiantly spent a pretty penny on textbooks and having to buy new books each semester can be a financially a burden. While Chegg does offers books for rental and own at great prices I always favor Chegg for their ebooks and online tutoring services. Every time I bought an e-book with Chegg they would gift me with 30 minutes of online tutoring I had eventually racked up 3 hours of free tutoring and which I utilized with math questions and revison and editing on papers, the tutors are defiantly helpful and Chegg lets you pick the tutor and allows you to view their credentials in the specific subject you are needing. All of this can be done by your mobile phone so it is fast and extremely convenient!  
  • Study Blue - Do you ever feel as if your notes just get to the point of disorganization where its just next to impossible to attempt to study? I sure did the first semester when I was trying to figure out how to effectively take notes. This app has features such as flashcards and a library of past users who may have taken the same class as you are in. This feature was especially useful because majority of the time I was able to find individuals who had taken the course prior and they had flashcards already made which made my life so much simpler and allowed me to get right to studying. 

Technology has become such a useful tool for todays students. I have only touched the surface with all the apps they have out there, it really is just trying out and seeing what works for you and how you learn things whether that would be with technology or just the old fashion pen and paper. I feel as if there is so much tools in helping achieve better grades or even just being able to keep up with your day to day studying. I love technology and I really can not wait to see what the next big app will be in the next 10 years for college students.

Question: What are your go-to study apps? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Stress it if You Can Help it

Waking up and realizing I had so many assignments due on top of that having to work really did cause so much stress in my time going to school. Having to deal with unnecessary stress and having your mind running all the time can literally make you go insane and can cause major issues with your own mental state of health. Although, some stress is very healthy to have sometimes it is best to take a breather and stand back and tell yourself everything will work out. The key to having healthy stress is eliminating the bad stress. There are so many tactics in helping yourself destress and it is so important to be able to incorporate some skills in your daily routine whether it be for everyday or even once a week. Here some of my suggestions for de-stressing from life's headaches. Stressed by Sodanie Chea, Creative Commons 2.0 What makes you stressed? - A lot of the the times there is a specific pattern for why you end up getting overly stressed out. Taking a step back looking at

3 First Semester Tips

As summer is drawing closer to an end and the Fall 2018 school semester is drawing near, chances are that you are viewing this blog in desperate need for new tips and ideas. As I can guess you are a either a student and or looking for great tips to help you get through this upcoming semester. Throughout my time as a college student I found that there is not a set of directions or handbook for learning how to do college the right way. Also, there is no direct schedule on learning how to adjust to a completely different life than high school so that means it is a lot of trial and error. As my college chapter is coming to a close I feel that my four years of figuring out what works and what doesn't can maybe help you the student get some perspective and direction on what will work for you. Waking up by Engin Akyurt, Creative Commons 2.0   Consistent wake up tim e - Set an alarm about two or three hours before class time, this will help give some extra time to awake, get d